As per a report from Don Balon, Newcastle United are considering a bid for Atletico Madrid striker Kevin Gameiro.
Les Bleus’ hitman
Gameiro, a 30-year-old French international, joined Diego Simeone’s men in a 32 million Euro deal (potential to rise to 40 million) last summer from La Liga rivals Sevilla.
He went on to notch 12 goals and 5 assists in 31 La Liga outings (21 starts), though the announcement of Diego Costa’s return to the club immediately threw the 13-time capped international’s future at the Wanda Metropolitano into doubt.
Gameiro has gone on to make 10 appearances between La Liga and the Champions League this season, though just 5 of these have come as starts.
Nevertheless, he has racked up 4 goals and 1 assist during his limited minutes.
And, as per the aforementioned report from Don Balon, one club hoping to take advantage of the uncertainty surrounding Gameiro’s future in the Spanish capital are Newcastle United.
The Magpies are said to be desperate to bring attacking reinforcements to St. James’ Park in January, having managed a paltry 13 goals from their opening 14 Premier League fixtures of the season.
And Gameiro, who has a proven goalscoring record throughout his career, has been touted as the man to put an end to Newcastle’s scoring woes, with Rafael Benitez and co. said to be readying an offer for the Frenchman in the new year.
Gameiro has been linked with a move to St. James’ on a number of occasions in the past, and was reportedly heavily courted by Everton during the summer.
If the Magpies fail to lure Gameiro to the club in January, reports suggest that they could return for Besiktas star Cenk Tosun, for whom they saw a bid rejected earlier this week:
Turkish media reporting that #NUFC have made a bid of €10m plus Aleksandar Mitrovic for Besiktas striker Cenk Tosun which has been rejected by the Turkish club.
— Andrew Musgrove (@ADMusgrove) November 27, 2017